Ten things to know about personal loans
  • Published:

  • Monday 18th December 2017, 1:07pm

Ten things to know about personal loans

If you're wondering if a personal loan might be right for you, it's natural to have questions. However, finding the answer to those questions can be daunting. Friends and family may have conflicting opinions, press coverage may be negative, and you may worry that your bank only offers advice that's aimed at encouraging you to sign up for one of their products. Here are ten of the most common questions.

1. What is a personal loan?
A personal loan is also referred to as an unsecured loan. It is a sum of money lent by a financial institution for the personal use of the borrower. No collateral is required, which is what distinguishes it from a secured loan.

2. What can I use a personal loan for?
By and large, that's up to you. The only usual stipulation is that the money must not be used for business purposes. There are separate loans available for these. Common reasons for taking out a personal loan are to pay for a wedding, home renovations, or to consolidate existing debt.

3. Are there different types of personal loans?
Yes - but some of them are targeted specifically at a particular sector of the population. Government-funded student loans are one such example, as are the professional studies loans offered to graduates by certain banks. However, most personal loans available on the high street are more generic products, potentially suitable for anyone who is at least 18 years old.

4. How much can I borrow?
Amounts of between £1,000 and £25,000 are the most common, but some financial institutions offer up to £50,000.

5. How do I repay the loan?
Your loan agreement will detail your repayment schedule. You will repay a fixed amount every month for the duration of the repayment period. The sum you pay includes interest on the loan.

6. What interest rate can I expect?
This is the all-important question. The advertised interest rate is "representative". This means only 51% of people taking out the loan must receive the advertised rate. The other 49% can be charged a higher rate. Available rates vary between financial institutions and often depend on an individual applicant's personal circumstances.

7. How can I maximise the chance of being offered a low interest rate?
Ensure your credit record is squeaky clean. This means staying well within existing credit limits, and having no county court judgments and no missed or late payments.

8. Where should I look for a personal loan?
You could try your own bank, but bear in mind that there may be better deals elsewhere. An independent broker may be the best way to compare products across financial institutions.

9. How will I be assessed for a personal loan?
The lending institution will credit check you through one of the three credit reference agencies. Make sure you have checked your credit file beforehand for any anomalies.

10. What happens if I default?
If you're afraid you're going to default, let your lender know as soon as possible. It is sometimes possible to reschedule payments or temporarily freeze the loan. If you do default and cannot resolve the situation, your credit rating will drop. This will significantly affect your chances of further credit in the future.

ccta

THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE SECURING OTHER DEBTS AGAINST YOUR HOME. YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON A MORTGAGE OR ANY DEBT SECURED ON IT. ALL RATES VARY SUBJECT TO LOAN AMOUNT, LOAN TYPE AND STATUS. REPAYING YOUR DEBT OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME MAY INCREASE THE AMOUNT YOU PAY.

WARNING - LATE REPAYMENT CAN CAUSE YOU SERIOUS MONEY PROBLEMS. FOR HELP GO TO:

mas

The Click Advisor Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (reference number 691797).Click Finance is a trading style of The Click Advisor Ltd., which carries out regulated credit broker activities and is not a lender.As a broker we process the information you provide us and pass this onto our trusted panel of lenders to help you to apply a loan.We work with a panel of lenders, therefore we may not be able to provide details of

every loan which may be available to you in the market.Some of those alternative loans may be available with more favourable rates or terms.

Contact us

FREEPHONE: 0800 088 2588

MOBILE: 01625 683 683

ONLINE APPLICATION

Borrow between £1,000 & £1,000,000

Apply Now